On the 17th of December, 1887, seventeen members of the Law Society of Upper Canada practising in the County of Carleton prepared a notice to all Carleton County members advising that a meeting would be held for the purpose of signing a Declaration to form an association and to elect trustees as the governing body. The first Trustees then asked the County Council to set apart accommodation for a library in the Courthouse.
Papers of incorporation were then filed, and on January 27, 1888, Ottawa area barristers and solicitors created "The County of Carleton Law Association”.
Since its inception, the Association has responded in matters affecting the profession by actively pursuing improvements to court services and facilities while enhancing educational programmes for the Ottawa bar. A founding membership of 56 has increased to a current enrolment of over 1,300.
The CCLA library has grown from humble beginnings to a sophisticated facility now maintaining 13,000 volumes along with electronic resources.
During the year of the centennial celebration, a group of dedicated lawyers compiled the history of the CCLA, which was then published. This history book is available at the CCLA library.
To view current CCLA By-laws, please click here: English / Français
To view the CCLA Sponsorship Policy, please click here.
An archive of our Annual Reports can be found below: