Management Employment Opportunity
Student at Law (Articling Student) (12 month term beginning June 2019)
By generating and distributing power, each person at Hydro Ottawa is part of empowering the lives of people in the communities we serve.
Our work means all the activities that make up our lives – at home, at work, at play – are there when we need them.
That purpose unites us and fuels our work. And if joining us in this essential work energizes you too, we may have the opportunity for you.
The Student-at-Law will work for the General Counsel Group within Hydro Ottawa Holding Inc. This Group composed of three lawyers provides legal services to its subsidiaries Hydro Ottawa Limited (an electricity distribution company serving over 310,000 customers in the City of Ottawa and the Village of Casselman) and to Energy Ottawa Inc. and its subsidiaries (electricity generation and energy services companies). The Student-at-Law will work directly with employees throughout these organizations and gain experience relating to all legal services provided by the General Counsel Group.
• Legal research – opinions on variety of issues arising from the businesses of Hydro Ottawa Holding Inc., Hydro Ottawa Limited, Energy Ottawa Inc. and their subsidiaries
• Small claims
• Damage to plant recovery
• Customer accounts – bad debt recovery (improve on collection and reduce use of collection agencies)
• Preparation of pleadings
• Conduct of trials
• Collection on judgments – judgment/debtor examinations/garnishments
• Litigation support
• Preparation of evidence, draft pleadings
• Agreement review and drafting (subject to lawyer review)
• Business development (mergers and acquisitions)
• Due diligence – preparation of document summaries
• Review of agreements
• Preparation of summary reports
• Real Estate matters
• Easements, leases and licences of occupation
• Access to Information and Privacy – research and draft responses
• Other duties as assigned
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• Completion of law degree (LL.B. or D.Jur.) by date of commencement of articling
• Computer skills in word processing and legal research using web-based services
• English language skills essential, Bilingualism (French/English) or other languages an asset
This is a management group opportunity and salary will be commensurate with qualifications.
Please apply via our website at https://hydroottawa.com/careers and submit your resumé along with your most recent transcript.
Hydro Ottawa is committed to establishing a qualified workforce that reflects the diverse population it serves and we encourage applications from all qualified individuals. We are also committed to preventing and removing barriers to employment for people with disabilities, and we invite you to inform us should you have any accessibility or accommodation needs.
Selected candidates must be legally entitled to work in Canada.