June 14, 2017
The County of Carleton Law Association is proud to announce the launch of WillCheck.ca
, a wills registry for the East Region.
Through Will Check, lawyers can deposit the location information about wills they create for their clients. In the future, this information stored with Will Check will assist in easier access for trustees and testators.
- Will Check is a wills registry to store the location information for wills (not the wills themselves), curated by the CCLA Library.
- If we get a request for a will, ideally we can look up the lawyer who holds the original copy of that will. We will only provide the contact information of that lawyer, not any information about the will itself.
- Currently requests and submissions can only be made by members of the LSUC.
- We are beginning the project focused for those who practice in the East Region.
- The site features simple forms to fill out, making registering wills quick and easy.
- Sample release available to get client approval.
Attendees at our 2017 East Region Solicitors Conference were presented with a look at this new project, and the feedback so far has been invaluable. The CCLA is excited to work with East Region lawyers as this project evolves; we look forward to hearing your further comments and creating a great resource for lawyers and their clients who are looking for will information.
Funding for Will Check was made available through the Federation of Ontario Law Associations (FOLA) 2016 Practice Resource Centre Innovation Award.
Register your clients’ wills today!