Davidson Houle Allen LLP is a new boutique condominium law firm in Ottawa’s downtown core. We are comprised of eight lawyers, three law clerks, and four legal assistants, with a practice that covers several areas of law, including litigation, on behalf of condominium corporations in eastern Ontario (more information can be found at davidsoncondolaw.ca).
We are currently seeking a professional, self-motivated individual to join our team as a Legal Administrative Assistant. Candidates must have a great work ethic, strong administrative and organizational skills, be self-motivated, able to work independently as well as part of a team, and be comfortable working in a dynamic, and paperless, work environment. Completion of a law clerk or paralegal program and/or experience working with litigation lawyers will be considered an asset. Minimum 3 years’ experience in the field required.
• Prepare a variety of legal documents including motion documents and appeals to higher Courts such as Divisional and Appeal Courts and Supreme Court of Canada for lawyer’s review.
• Draft basic letters and transcribe documents from digital voice system and handwritten materials containing correspondence, memoranda, docket sheets in the daily production of legal documents.
• Proofread all documents, correspondence and memoranda to ensure accuracy of copy, grammar and punctuation and make changes for lawyer review.
• Prepare finalized legal documents and ensure that proper service of the documents is applied and filed with the appropriate Court.
• Review WIP and aged A/R lists as per our collection policy and suggest follow- up for lawyer.
• Return calls and e-mails to clients and others if lawyer is unable to do so promptly.
• Handle incoming and outgoing mail including courier shipments.
• Maintain client files to ensure they are up to date; ensure that files are closed and stripped before going to office clerk for off-site storage.
• Coordinate conferences, meetings and appointments for lawyer including conference room booking/setting up room/cleaning up room and preparation of material.
• Maintain calendar of meetings and appointments on the corporate system and advise lawyer of this in advance of the commitments.
• Diploma in Legal Administration or similar;
• Overtime may be required during periods of high workload;
• Flexibility in daily work schedule around lunch period due to lawyer’s requirements.
We offer a supportive work environment, a competitive compensation and benefits package, and a firm sponsored retirement savings program. Interested candidates are invited to submit their resumes in confidence to:
Davidson Houle Allen LLP
800 – 410 Laurier Ave West
Ottawa, Ontario K1R 1B7
Attn: Allyson Browning-Groulx – Office Manager
Please use “Legal Assistant Position” as the subject line, if applying by email. We thank all applicants, however only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.